Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Refusing Resignation to Jane Eyre-dom

I live in a post-Eat, Pray, Love world. A world in which genuine self-exploration, cultural interest, and philosophical revelations are cheapened to Just Another American Tourism. A world in which wanting to escape the near-meaningless hustle and bustle of my life is met with inquiries into personal relationships with pizza. In which immersing myself in a rustic lifestyle evokes images of floppy hats and flouncy skirts. In which challenging myself to find solace in solitude translates to f seeking m - hot, accent required. What if I do enjoy simplicity? What if I do find peace? What if I do have an affair with some sexy, tan thing? Well where's my money? Where's my book deal? Where's my Julia Roberts figure?

1 comment:

  1. At the same time, just wait until you try the pizza ;)

    Lots of love from Rhody,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete